Travel through a century of culture and rich history
The Mansion was built in 1905 for Thomas Lynch, a coal magnate.
Thomas Lynch was a self-made man who came from humble beginnings. He started his career as a coal miner, and he eventually worked his way up to become the President of H. C. Frick Coal Company and father of the “Safety First” movement .
Lynch was also a man of great taste, and he wanted to build a mansion that would reflect his wealth and Irish heritage. He hired the architectural firm of Bartholomew and Smith to design the mansion, and he spared no expense in its construction.
The mansion was built using the finest materials and craftsmanship, and it was decorated with the finest furniture and art. One of the Artworks being the renowned Tiffany Window. Depicting a thatched-roof cottage surrounded by trees, red clover, green meadows and cloudy skies, the window was mounted on the landing of the grand staircase of Lynch’s brick mansion.
It was the largest and most luxurious home in Greensburg, and it was a popular destination for social gatherings and parties. Lynch and his wife lived in the mansion for many years, and they raised their children there.
After Thomas Lynch’s death in 1914, the mansion was passed down to his children. The mansion remained in the Lynch family until 1945, when it was sold to Greensburg businessman Col. W. John Stiteler Jr., who turned it into offices for the Coal Operators Casualty Co. of Greensburg, a predecessor of Old Republic Insurance Company. The Old Republic Insurance Company did additions to the property in 1950 and operated it as their headquarters till 2020. The property was purchased by the Taneja Family in late 2021. The family undertook a delicate and careful restoration/enhancement of the property to convert it back from an office to their home which is now The Grandeur Estate. The Estate is a beloved landmark in Greensburg, and it is a source of pride for the community.